Home > Business > Tata Power receives LoI for WESCO, SOUTHCO discoms in Odisha

Tata Power receives LoI for WESCO, SOUTHCO discoms in Odisha



India’s largest integrated power utility Tata Power has received a Letter of Intent (LoI) from the Odisha Electricity Regulatory Commission (OERC) for distribution and retail supply of electricity by Western Electricity Supply Utility of Odisha Ltd (WESCO) and Southern Electricity Supply Utility of Odisha Ltd (SOUTHCO).

As per conditions of the bid documentation, Tata Power will hold 51 per cent equity with management control while the state-owned GRIDCO will hold the remaining 49 per cent equity stake in the company, an official communiqué from Tata Power said today.

Tata Power will distribute electricity in five circles — Rourkela, Burla, Bhawanipatna, Bolangir, Bargargh – of WESCO; and six circles — Ganjam City, Berhampur, Aska, Bhanjannagar, Jeypore, and Rayagada — of SOUTHCO.

The licensing for the two distribution utilities shall be for 25 years, the communiqué added.

Tata Power has already taken over the management of the Central Electricity Supply Utility of Odisha (CESU).

The licence enables Tata Power to serve consumers of WESCO and SOUTHCO with a geographical spread of more than 47,000 Sq km each and will manage the network of more than 100,000 circuit km each.

While WESCO serves close to 2 million consumers with an annual input energy of 7,520 MUs, SOUTHCO serves close to 2.3 million consumers with an annual input energy of 3,470 MUs, it said.

With WESCO and SOUTHCO, Tata Power’s consumer base will reach 10 million from the present base of 5.7 million across Mumbai, Delhi, central part of Odisha and Ajmer.

The company said it would retain all the existing employees of the WESCO and SOUTHCO, and continue with their service conditions as per their existing policy structure.

Commenting on this occasion, Tata Power CEO & MD Praveer Sinha said, “It is a proud moment for us. We are thankful to the Odisha Government and OERC for giving us this opportunity. We are committed to provide reliable, affordable and quality power supply along with superior customer service, backed by innovative technology. We constantly strive to become the most preferred distribution company in the country. The success of our Delhi, Mumbai and Ajmer Distribution including improvements in Central Odisha in a short span of time is winning the hearts of people of Odisha.”

About admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *